I turned to my good old trusty pound cake recipe a few weeks ago when I had to make a birthday cake for my mom the day of, but didn’t have time to make a full on fancy shmancy birthday cake. I decided to add in blueberry puree and lavender oil to make the cake special.
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar
- one recipe Orange-scented Pound Cake
- one tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- one cup Blackberries
- one cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- two Cups Blueberries, divided
- three drops Lavender Oil
- four ounces Mascarpone
- Lavender Sprigs(optional)
- Puree 1 cup of the blueberries and run through a fine mesh strainer. Set aside.
- Make the pound cake according to recipe instructions but omit the orange oil and add in the lavender oil and blueberry puree instead. Make sure to use a very large loaf pan to bake the cake in. Let cake cool, removing from the baking pan after it’s cooled for 10 minutes,
- Place the mascarpone and powdered sugar in a bowl and beat together until smooth and creamy. Add the heavy cream and beat with an electric mixer until the mixture is thick and creamy(this will take a few minutes.) Beat in the lemon juice until just combined.
- Spread the lemon mascarpone cream on top of the cooled cake. Top cream with the remaining blueberries and blackberries. Place sprigs of lavender on top, if desired.
Pound cake has become my go-to cake when I need an easy to throw together dessert. It doesn’t take long to get into the oven, provided you have softened butter available(I always keep about a pound out. The need for cake is frequent in this house). Pound cakes also require little decoration, which is perfect when you don’t have much time.