RASPBERRY ORANGE SHORTBREAD BARS – This recipe makes the assumption that the fruit for the filling has been juiced and only the pulp remains. Two oranges and 6 oz of raspberries are used the make raspberry orange juice and the remaining pulp is used in these bars. For instructions on juicing the fruit, refer to your juicer’s manual.
3/4 cup salted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
Pulp from 2 large oranges, peeled
Pulp from 6 oz raspberries
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp flour
6 tbsp powdered sugar
2 tsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a 9 inch square pan with parchment paper, leaving some sticking above the sides of the pan to lift the bars out later. You can also use aluminum foil.
3. Add butter, flour, sugar and vanilla to a food processor and pulse until it comes together and forms a ball.
4. Press 3/4 of the dough evenly into the bottom of the pan.
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned.
6. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
7. In a small bowl, combine pulp from raspberries and oranges with sugars and flour.
8. Spread fruit mixture evenly over crust.
9. Crumble remaining 1/4 of dough over fruit mixture.
10. Bake bars for 18-20 minutes, then set aside to cool.
11. Once cooled, use parchment paper or aluminum foil to remove from pan and cut into bars.
12. To make the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract. Drizzle glaze over bars.