Triple Chocolate Scones – Sweet Triple Chocolate Scones and hot cup of coffee are a delicious way to start any day. These soft and flakey chocolate scones are an acceptable way to enjoy brownies for breakfast.
How to make Triple Chocolate Scones:
- Stir together all the dry ingredients in a bowl. (full recipe is at the bottom)
- Cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients with the fork or a pastry blender. Make sure that there are butter chunks evenly distributed throughout all the flour.
- Whisk the egg, vanilla, and buttermilk together. Use a fork to mix this into the flour mixture. You want to keep moving it around until a good dough forms. Just be careful not to overwork the dough because that makes dense and dried out scones.
- Pat the dough into 2 equal circles that are about 6 inches around. Do not hold or touch the dough too much. You do not want the butter to melt and the dough to get warm.
- Cut each circle into 6 wedges with a sharp knife. The dough will be really sticky, so do not try to move the scones around at all. To keep the scones light and flakey, refrigerate the pan of dough for 30 minutes. This will keep the dough from spreading out too much as they bake.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 18 minutes.
- Once the brownie scones are cooled, drizzle them with melted chocolate. This is totally optional, but it adds so much to the finished chocolate scones. You could also drizzle them with some melted white chocolate to make them really pretty.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate melts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the cold butter and cut in with a fork or pastry blender until it is coarse crumbs. Stir in the mini chocolate chips. Make a hole in the center of the flour mixture.
- Whisk together the egg, vanilla, and buttermilk. Pour into the center of the flour and stir until a dough comes together. Do not over work the dough.
- DIvide the dough into 2 equal parts. Place each ball on a baking sheet.
- With floured hands, shape each ball into a 6 inch circle. Cut each circle into 6 wedges. Refrigerate the dough for 15-30 minutes, then bake for 18 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Place the dark chocolate melts in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat until melted and smooth. Do not over heat.
- Place the melted chocolate in a plastic bag with the tip cut off. Drizzle over the tops of the scones. Store in a tightly sealed container on the counter for 2-3 days.